Back in my raw food days, I use to be quite fanatical about smoothies and elixirs. Herbal teas, fruits, greens, superfood powders, and absurd amount of sweeteners use to pile around my Vita Mix as I tried to concoct a beverage that would help me live forever. In the long run, it simply rotted my teeth but that's another story!
These days, I appreciate the simplicity of ingredients and do my best to capture the seasons in all that I eat. This recipe is no exception. With the onset of autumn, winter squashes are back and will become a staple ingredient over the next few months. Kefir is one of my favorite fermented beverages and the most fitting way for me to consume dairy. The remaining ingredients blended together creates a pumpkin pie like taste that is filling and energizing, plus delivering a good amount of probiotics.
Roasted Winter Squash-Kefir Smoothie
- 1/4 cup cooked winter squash
- 12 ounces full fat kefir
- 2-3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- pinch of sea salt
- Scoop out the flesh of the squash and place into a blender.
- Top with the remaining ingredients, cover, and blend on high for 45 seconds.
- Pour into your favorite mug and enjoy!