This classic spring recipe pairs the sweetness of strawberries with fresh, crisp spinach. A light sherry-bacon vinaigrette adds just the right pop of flavor that is balanced with the fatty additions of avocado and sharp goat cheese.
Spinach & Strawberry Salad
- 2 big handfuls of spinach
- 8 strawberries, cut in half
- 1 ripe avocado, cut into chunks
- 4 ounces goat's cheese
- 2 strips of crispy cooked bacon, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2-3 tablespoons quality olive oil
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat, melted
- sprinkle of sea salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- Before prepping the spinach, cook the bacon in a heavy bottomed pan until crispy. Set aside, reserve the fat.
- Wash then spin dry the spinach, tear into smaller pieces, then place in a large bowl.
- Prep the berries and avocado then add to the bowl. In a small bowl, whisk together the bacon fat, olive oil, and sherry vinegar. Add a pinch of sea salt then drizzle over the greens.
- Add the cheese to the bowl or serve on the side.
- Toss to distribute the dressing then split amongst 2 plates.